Making Health Care Work
LOWERING HEALTH CARE COSTS—A pro-consumer health insurance exchange would allow hundreds of thousands of families and businesses to join together and negotiate for cheaper health care plans.
LOWER COSTS, BETTER CARE
Now the fight for health care reform is in Sacramento, and so are the health care industry’s lobbyists.
At stake is how we set up a new insurance marketplace in California — the single biggest tool we have to clean up health care. The new state insurance exchange will allow small businesses, those of us who buy health care on our own, and the uninsured to shop for cheaper health care plans and find some relief from increasingly brutal premiums.
Done right, the exchange will save billions and level the balance of power between consumers and the health care industry — driving the industry to cut waste and prioritize high-quality care.
The health care industry has spent millions to influence decisions on health care, so they know how high the stakes are.
In order to help us fight back against the kind of price jumps and trap-door coverage we’ve all been suffering from, CALPIRG is pushing to see that the exchange:
- Negotiates for better plans. By demanding better care for less cost, the exchange can use the collective power of hundreds of thousands of Californians to finally demand that the industry does better.
- Have high standards, so that bad plans aren’t an option.
- Be open to as many Californians as possible. Limits that shut some individuals and businesses out of the exchange would reduce its ability to lower costs — and will be a key tactic that industry lobbyists use to weaken it.
- Be accountable to the public.
- Review of Anthem's Rate Increase on Individual Policies
- CALPIRG joint letter on Consumer protection for “California Covered”
- Comments on the Aetna Life Insurance Company Proposal to Increase Rates
- Your Price May Vary
- At Stake: What’s on the Line for Health Care Consumers in the Pending Supreme Court Case
Tools & Resources
Protect your family and see what hidden hazards to watch out for.
A Consumer Guide to Shopping Around
CALPIRG Education Fund
Tips & Tools to Stay Safe From ID Theft
Use Your Vote. Raise Our Voice.
Our Changing Relationship with Driving and the Implications for America’s FutureCALPIRG Education Fund
Join our network and stay up to date on our campaigns, get important consumer updates and take action on critical issues.
We’ve got a chance to clean up the health care industry in California, but with lobbyists lining the halls of the state capitol, we need your support.